Thursday, February 28, 2008

Return on Life: Another way to make it through the cold and snowy winter

This is the time of year that many living in areas that experience winter begin to get weary. Bundling up to stay warm, scraping ice and snow off the car, being extra careful not to fall or have a wreck, etc., etc. It can really wear you out! That is, if you focus on it and think about it.
Now, after reading that last sentence, you may be thinking "well, it's there, right ouside my window. How can I not think about it." The way you do that is that when an ugly thought about the cold, snow, wet, and discomfort comes into your mind, just realize that it's there, and then consciously think about something else. It's really just that simple. You're really just redirecting your attention to something that you feel better thinking about. It takes practice, but it's simple to do. And, as you practice, it gets easier.
I know this because although I've never really had this issue with winter, I've had it with other situations I couldn't change. Once you realize that it's your choice what you think about, the next realization is that you can choose a thought different than your current thought.
That next thought might not be "I love winter" (I don't think it's really helpful to try to fool yourself), but it could simply be "I'm going to read a good book" or "I love my family, they're wonderful". Just think about anything other than the fact that you hate winter. By the way, it also works with other situations you can't change and don't like! You'll be surprised at how much more content you'll be with life over time by practicing at redirecting your thoughts.

No comments: