Thursday, October 9, 2008

Return on Life: Sometimes it's the small things!

It all began with a cup of coffee. One cup of chocolate mocha coffee, with 2 teaspoons of sugar. I drink a couple of cups of coffee every day--in the morning. But this one was consumed Sunday afternoon at 4:30 p.m.--an hour or so after my usual caffeine "cut-off" time. But it was a cool fall afternoon, perfect for a hot drink, and I love anything chocolate. I was happy.


Until 1:30 a.m. that is. I was able to go to sleep initially, but woke up several hours later and could not get back to sleep until after 4:30 a.m. And had to be up at 6! I know that's what caffeine does to me but I just didn't think about it at the time. Well, of course I was tired on Monday, then was up late because we had dinner out with my husband's clients, had to be up and out the door early on Tuesday, was up late Tuesday to watch the Presidential debates and recap, then out the door by 6:45 on Wednesday.

By then, having had 3 nights in a row with too little sleep, I was like a walking zombie. When I went to make coffee Wednesday morning, I put two scoops into the coffee maker, then realized there wasn't enough ground, so I poured more whole beans--but not into the grinder. No. Into the coffee maker along with the ground coffee already in there. That's when I realized what I'd done to myself and how impaired my functioning was.

So, Wednesday night I went to bed early, got a good night's sleep, and couldn't believe how much better I felt. I popped right up out of bed on Thursday, alert and ready to go. Sometimes, what gives us a better return on life is something huge, life changing. Other times, however, it's the little things that can make a big difference. Give some thought to the little things you do that could have a big impact in increasing your Return on Life! You can bet it will be a long time before I drink a cup of coffee after about 2 p.m.!

No comments: