Sunday, October 5, 2008

Return on Life: Volunteer!

Last Saturday I got up at 5 a.m., had a quick shower and breakfast, and arrived at the set-up area for the Northern Allegheny County Chamber of Commerce Classic, a half marathon and 5k road race. This is the race I began training for last spring, then had to abandon. I decided that if I couldn't run, at least I could devote the time to help out.


In addition being pretty darn early for a Saturday morning, it was about 40 degrees, dark, and raining when I arrived. Sounds like a prescription for a grumpy morning, doesn't it? What I found was a whole group of friendly, energetic people setting things up for the runners. As runners began to arrive, there were more smiles and good feelings--even when the biggest crush of runners who had not preregistered arrived about 15 minutes prior to the starting time. There was not one cross word or even a frown anywhere to be seen.


When 5k runners began to finish and half marathon runners ran by on their first and second loop, we cheered each and every runner. Not all of them acknowledged our support, but many did. As they finished, we waited at the end of the finish line chute, ready to clip the plastic ties holding the timing chip on their shoes. And, for those who didn't trust the ties and had laced the chip in, we untied the double knots so they didn't have to bend down (energy they didn't have at that point!!). I can't tell you how many of those runners made a point to say "thanks for volunteering today," or "thank you for your help."


Looking back, although I'd have like to have been IN the race, I'm absolutely glad I offered to help. It was only a few hours out of my weekend and I know I made a difference. I also got to meet some new, interesting people--the other volunteers.


You've heard, many times, that volunteering helps you feel better about yourself. It's absolutely true. And it doesn't have to be a huge, ongoing commitment. Even a one-shot deal will make a difference for you and those you help. So, the next time a volunteer opportunity arises--take it. I promise you won't regret it!

No comments: