Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Return on Life: Let someone else know they matter

My husband and I just finished teaching the Junior Achievement class "Economics for Success" to two eighth grade classes at Seneca Valley Middle School in Zelienople, PA. This was our first experience as JA volunteers and I wasn't sure what to expect from kids that age. We were both pleased to find that the classes we were assigned to were polite, interactive, and appreciative of our time.

What struck me the most, however, was something that happened on the last day of my class. I handed out certificates of completion to each student as they shared, one by one, what they would most remember from the class. After the first few students, I noticed an intense interest in the certificates, which was followed by a series of questions: Had I actually signed all the certificates myself? Had I really written each student's name and date on there myself? (yes, yes, and yes). Then the reaction: "Wow, that was a lot of work. You really made these for each of us."

Each student shared an insightful learning from one of the six classes. But I really think that at least during that last class, what was most important to the students was that they truly felt important. They knew they mattered. How small a thing--hand writing 24 certificates--and how big an impact.

What can you do to let someone else know they matter? It's so often the things we feel are nearly insignificant that have the greatest impact. Say thanks, give a sincere compliment, make the bed if you normally don't. You'll have a greater impact than you would imagine.

No comments: